Friday 24 February 2012

Introducing Caroline Temple


We absolutely love Caroline's work, not only is it exquisitely made - it's fun and quirky too.

Caroline studied Jewellery and Silversmithing at Edinburgh College of Art and has worked for over 12 years creating stunning one-off commisions as well as wearable, yet exciting everyday pieces. Every piece is made in solid silver and gold, gem stones and genuine hand-fired glass enamel.

"I'm inspired by the world around around me, the colours and the forms of nature. My jewellery tells a story - the story of enjoying and celebrating the world around us.

"I love to think that I'm creating the heirlooms of the future - which is why I make sure that every piece is made using traditional silversmithing skills to ensure it will last for generations.

"these are precious pieces of jewellery which will look as good in ten or twenty years time as the day they were made. People tell me that when they wear my work someone always notices. I think people respond to the quality, the colours and textures."

Vitreous Enamel and Gems

There are very few artists using the complex technique of hand-fired vitreous enamelling in which the coloured glass powders are applied to silver. The metal has to withstand up to 900 degrees centigrade so high quality Britannia Silver must be used. The result is uniquely beautiful - a translucent and gem-like colour shimmers on the surface of the silver. The colour never fades or changes and it has a permanence and a preciousness which make gem stones a natural partner - adding another dimension of colour and celebrating the beauty of nature